Since it’s tax season, you may also want to check out this post from last year (this year’s version of the software looks pretty good so far as well):
Speaking of tax season, here are the top 5 reasons to file your income tax return early
- If you need help, the support lines at Canada Revenue Agency will be less busy now than at the end of April.
- If you have an accountant prepare your return, getting them started earlier will put you in their good books. Your return will be processed by their office more quickly and your fee may be lower.
- You will get your refund faster. If you file within the next week or two, you could have your refund in 7-10 days. At the end of April, it could take 4 weeks to get your money back.
- You’ll know how much is coming to you (or how much you owe) earlier, which will help you budget for spring expenses.
- It’s colder outside now than it will be in April (hopefully!). That last Saturday in April could be sunny and warm. Do you really want to be stuck inside then doing your taxes?
Even if you don’t file early, do not file late! Even if you are getting a refund, it still counts as a big X against your name if you file late. Future late filings will have double penalties if it’s your second offense.
And now, I must go take my own advice and get my taxes done!