Course for teens and young adults
Taxes? No problem! In this course, you will learn how to minimize your taxes from your first job right through to buying your first house. We will cover saving money in a TFSA vs. an RRSP, tax breaks for students and why you’ll happily say cha-ching for me when you turn 18.
We will meet weekly on Zoom. To ensure that tech doesn’t make you zone out, the course contains many elements to keep you fully engaged:
- ● Breakout discussion sessions
- ● Interactive quizzes
- ● Gamified review
- ● Frequent check-ins where you answer questions using tech
- ● Small class sizes to ensure opportunity to participate
When: Thursdays 3:45-5:00pm Eastern Time, January 14 to March 4 (8 weeks)
There will be an average of 1-2 hours of homework per week to be completed in between classes. The homework is critical for understanding the material.
Cost per student:
Register by January 12, 2021: $99 + HST for the course, plus $20 + shipping & tax for the required text (see below).
After January 12, 2021: $109+ HST for the course, plus $20 + shipping & tax for the required text (see below).
Course fee includes:
- ● 10 hours of live instruction
- ● Access to recorded classes for a limited time if you are absent (tech permitting – please plan to attend live)
- ● Many computer-graded homework questions and tax return practice in addition to the worksheets & solutions provided in the textbook
- ● Instructor marking of long-answer questions in assignments that can’t be auto-graded, providing detailed feedback
- ● Software mini-guide PDF download – sent weekly, it contains step by step instructions with screenshots for the functions we will use in class (written by me for the purposes of this course – not endorsed by software creators). This can serve as a student reference after the course is completed.
- ● Q&A email support. The course is very comprehensive and students have plenty of opportunity to ask questions in class. So, email questions are rare. However, I am available to help students any time a question arises and will reply within 1 business day.
Detailed course outline available here.
- ● High school and young adult students are welcome.
- ● Keen 8th graders considered (message me and we’ll chat)
Instructor: Leanne Seel, CPA, CA
- ● 20+ years of ongoing personal tax experience in a professional capacity
- ● Completed CPA Canada’s 2-year In-depth Tax Program (a series of courses designed for CPAs who specialize in tax)
- ● Author of Math-U-See Stewardship – Canadian Supplement (a popular homeschool curriculum)
- ● Teaching experience: 11 years homeschooling, 7 years co-op coordinator/teacher, many group classes, workshops and events
You will need:
- ● A laptop or desktop computer with StudioTax installed before the second class. Studiotax can be downloaded and used free of charge. You only need to pay the software license fee if you print or file a return. While we will be preparing returns in this course using the software, we won’t actually be filing any of them with Canada Revenue Agency. So, no software license fee required. Find Studiotax here.
- ● Required text: Math-U-See Stewardship – Canadian Supplement (authored by me) – order & pay for this with the publisher ($20 + shipping & tax) and they will ship it directly to you. It’s okay if you don’t receive the text before the first class – just order it as soon as you can. ⇒ Note that the text is part of a Christian financial stewardship program. For our purposes, we are going to use the Canadian supplement book on its own. The Canadian Supplement and this course focus on Canadian tax issues only and are faith neutral.
- ● Google account – class work will be distributed through Google Classroom (see note below)
- ● Internet connection and Zoom account
Google Classroom privacy note:
We are using Google Classroom for this course to take advantage of its collaboration features. By default, each student’s first name and last name will be visible to other students in the class (email address and all other personal information remains hidden). If this bothers you, you can change your name display on your Google account or use another account with a screen name for the class. Instructions for both options will be provided on registration. I apologize for this inconvenience – I spent a lot of time researching alternatives and Google Classroom provides the best collaboration at a reasonable value. Any other option would increase the price of the course significantly.
Questions? Please feel free to ask! Contact Me.